Diabetes was the 5th highest rated health concern among adults in our service area according to our 2016 health assessment. In addition, 39.4% of survey participants’ self-reported weight measures showed that they were obese, which is a major diabetes risk factor. The Healthy People 2020 national health target is to lower the proportion of adults (ages 20 and up) who are obese to 30.6%. To reach this target, obesity was prioritized as one of the most important issues that Elkhorn Logan Valley Public Health Department will be working toward improving; thus affecting chronic diseases such as diabetes.
Pre-Diabetes Community Classes:
In 2015, ELVPHD began hosting pre-diabetes classes throughout our service area called "Project: Healthier You". The goal of the classes is to help people lose weight and adopt a healthier lifestyle. Our classes are 16 weeks and are based on the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's, National Diabetes Prevention Program. It is an evidence-based lifestyle change program which:
- Helps cut your risk of developing Type 2 diabetes in half.
- Encourages you to lose 5-7% of your body weight (10-14 pounds for a 200-pound person).
- 16 weekly core sessions and 6 post-core sessions (once a month)
- Provides strategies to incorporate healthier eating habits and physical activity into a person's everyday life.
To be eligible for the classes, participants must:
- Must be 18 or older.
- Must have a Body Mass Index (BMI) reading of 24 or greater.
- Have a doctor's referral with an A1C test completed OR simply complete our eligibility screening form.
If you are interested in taking part in this program, please call us at 402-529-2233 to learn about and enroll in the next available class. In addition to these classes, there are many other educational offerings for those with diabetes or with pre-diabetes in the service area...please click here to see full Resource Directory offered by medical health facilities in the area. To learn more about the diabetes prevention program classes, please watch the CDC's video "A Change for Life" by clicking here.
Click here to view diabetes statistics and data for Elkhorn Logan Valley Public Health Department’s service area (Burt, Cuming, Madison and Stanton counties).