Drug & Alcohol Abuse Prevention
Anyone can join HCI and there are no dues or fees! We would love to have you be a part of our group and share your time and efforts to help us prevent drug and alcohol abuse and misuse in your community. Parent and community involvement is vital to our success because you know your kids and communities the best.
Healthy Communities Initiative (HCI) coalition was started in 2003 by a group of parents and professionals who were worried about drug and alcohol problems in the area. The coalition meets regularly to discuss current issues and activities that the coalition would like to organize to prevent drug and alcohol abuse and misuse in youth and adults. We are a recognized Nebraska non-profit corporation that is governed by a board of directors.
WHAT WE DO:
- Distribute printed materials on drug and alcohol abuse and misuse for all age groups.
- Coordinate compliance and sobriety checks by the Nebraska State Patrol each year.
- Media campaigns focusing on underage drinking and drinking and driving held at peak times such as prom, graduation and the holiday season.
- Host booths at county fairs, health fairs, school events, and other public events.
- School curriculums (8) dealing with drug and alcohol abuse, bullying, good choices, and leadership skills have been started in 13 area schools. Would you like to get this project into your school? Call us!
- Drug Take-Back Events are held each year. Two permanent collection boxes have been placed at the West Point Police Department and Norfolk Police Department to collect outdated or unwanted prescription drugs. Hours of operation for each location are as follows:
- West Point Police Department: 9am – 5pm
- Norfolk Police Department: any time
- Beverage server training for businesses selling alcohol to help stop underage drinking and excessive drinking. Call to get your class scheduled today!
- Expert speakers on drug and alcohol abuse are provided for schools, organizations, and businesses. If you would like to host a speaker, let us know!
- Fatal Vision Goggle events are performed at local high schools. This is available to any school in our area upon request.
For more facts about HCI, please contact us at 402-529-2233.